Monday, February 20, 2012

Life Update

I know I haven't posted in a while.....

Firstly, I've been getting upset frustrated with DoD auditing in support of DIACAP, or whatever it is going to be called in the future.  After doing this auditing for close to four years, I see numerous problems with no clear-cut solution.  But, that is a post for another day.  I'll still post DoD IA posts, but expect to see more incident response / digital forensics posts.

While I started my post-college career in software development, specifically COBOL, I figured it was time to learn a scripting language.  Currently, I write many of my auditing tools using vbscript, however, it is not portable across multiple platforms.  After thinking about it for a while, I've decided to teach myself Python; so there could be some Python posts in the future.  Many of the open source DFIR tools that I've seen/used are either written in either Perl or Python, so it's high-time I learned one of those languages.

Finally, if there are (larger than normal) gaps in posting, it is because I am studying for my SANS GCIH re-certification.  Without realizing it, I took my GCFA class outside of the window where I could have used it for my GCIH re-certification credits.  Fortunately, I really like the material in the GCIH, and I put much of it into practice.  It's been fun to read the updated manuals and go through the DVD with new and updated software.

No comments:

Post a Comment