Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Oops - better upgrade Ubuntu

Last night I was using my laptop when it dawned on my that I hadn't received any security updates in a while. I think I was running 7.04, but I really can't remember; I know I had a 7.04 cd on the computer desk. Anyway, I decided to upgrade to the next release up (not the newest.) This site gave me all the info I needed. (And, according to the article, it looks like 7.04 reached end of life on October 19th. Which would explain why I had not seen any updates.)

And it went smoothly. It took a little longer than I thought, but otherwise, the upgrade went well. The only issue I found was that Thunderbird would not open after the install; I was getting a path error. I ran "whereis mozilla-thunderbird" and was going to use that path in my applet launcher. However, I mistakenly removed Thunderbird from the panel. I re-added the application, and presto, it worked like a charm. So, note to self, any app that does not work after the install: remove and add the icon to the panel first (before further troubleshooting.)

My plan is to upgrade to 8.04 next so that I'm on the latest stable version. I'll move to 8.10, but I want to wait for the bugs and kinks to be worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment