Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Almost out of the doldrums

I see the light at the end of the tunnel, I just hope it's not an oncoming train. I have my interim security clearance, and I finally got my CAC the other day. So now I can DO stuff. I've discovered that it is the end of the fiscal year, so a whole bunch of projects have started to come in, and, it's only a matter of time before I get out in the field and actually do anything.

At some point I need to start working with the tools that I'll be using in the field. I've used a bunch of the tools independently, but I need to learn the process for fieldwork. Over the last month, I've gotten a little acclimated to the documentation that needs to be produced; but not to the point where I can independently produce it.

For my level (Tech II,) I'm supposed to have Security+ certification (at a minimum.) Not only that, but my sponsor has a bunch of "Military Security"/information assurance classes I'm supposed to pass. Since I haven't had real "work" to do, I've spent the last two weeks working on my military classes. One of those classes is a Security+ review class. Because I've been so close to it for the past week or so, I decided to schedule an attempt at the Security+ exam for this week. So that's what I'm living, eating, sleeping, and breathing. I'll be glad when it's over.

You may have noticed, I dropped the pseudonym. I think at one time I had designs of reporting on the outrageous security consulting engagements I worked. A pseudonym would allow me to post anonymous details without compromising integrity and personal information. However, since I'm not doing that full time, I figure I'd drop the pseudonym.

No comments:

Post a Comment