Monday, July 28, 2008

New position in Information Assurance

It's been a while since I posted. And there has been at least one major security announcement (the DNS patch.) I've been pretty busy, but I found the time to patch the systems I administer to that they are not susceptible to the DNS vulnerability. I can't do anything about the upstream providers though.

Part of the reason I've been busy is that I've just accepted a position in information assurance. This kind of popped up out of nowhere. I saw the posting for the job on a Friday, I sent my resume, and was called on Monday. I interviewed later in the week, and was made an offer the next day.

Yeah, I'm a little nervous. My specialty has been in incident response and vulnerabilities. Now, I'm going to have switch focus a bit and learn about certifying systems to meet a specific standard. Sure, I'll be putting a lot of my knowledge to use, just not from the same point of view. The benefits are great. And, I'll most likely be getting a security clearance for the position, which to me, is a big intangible benefit.

I'm going to try to keep my company. There certainly isn't any conflict of interest as there is ZERO chance that any of the clients would overlap.

I don't start until the middle of August, so I'm off to really start learning about the governmental information assurance field.

No comments:

Post a Comment