Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I think I'd make a lousy hacker

We're at the practical portion of the class. Last night, and tomorrow night, we're playing capture the flag. It's really pretty cool, and I've never done it before. But, I've come to the realization that I'm not that great at it. I have captured one flag so far, and I've seen a second. I admit, it was pretty cool to break into that first server and capture the flag. For a while, I had shell access to a second server; but the password I used last night doesn't seem to work today. I don't know if the password was change by someone else or what.

One thing that has been great to see, is everyone elses tools littered around the place. I've enjoyed going from directory to directory and seeing, and analyzing, the tools I've found. Many people have not even bothered to hide their tools.

The game ends tomorrow. I'll keep plugging along, but I don't have high hopes. At some point in tomorrow's class, answers will be revealed to us. I'll try them out over the weekend to see what else I can learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment