Friday, September 13, 2013

Unix Antivirus software

I know, it has been a long time since I last posted.  That's a post for another day.  I'll get to that, but at a later date.

However, I was given a task today, and I didn't know where it would lead.  Specifically, a customer wanted some information on antivirus software for Unix/Linux servers.  Why I was given the task is another mystery, but it was up to me to provide an answer to the customer. (I'm not a *nix guy, I'm "ok" with it, but I don't work much in that environment.)

I fully admit, I did not know anything about the unix/linux antivirus space.  But, doing some digging I learned a couple of things.  There are plenty of antivirus software packages to choose from.  And, they fall all over the spectrum for services.  Of course, the heavy hitters of antivirus software include offerings for *nix machines.  I was surprised that there were as many others as I found.  Some filled specific niches, like a mail server.  At least one was target ONLY to the *nix environment.  Prices were all over the place, and service differed greatly depending on who you were looking at.  I'm including the list below as a note so that if I have to do this research again, I'll know where to start.

F-Prot
Symantec Endpoint Protection
Cyber
Sophos
Bitdefender
McAfee
F-Secure

Software not listed here is only not listed because I did not know about it, or it did not immediately meet my customer's needs.  If I blatantly missed something, leave it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment