Friday, February 1, 2008

Middle East Cable cuts

A read a while ago of the potential cable cut in the Mid-East here from SANS. Normally, I wouldn't dwell too much on it. However, as it happens, I have a very old friend working in Djibouti that I have just re-connected with. So, I was a little surprised when I read of the cable cut. My first thought was "how, exactly, does a cable get cut?" Ok, I can believe an earthquake would do the trick. But, outside of that, what would cut a cable? A person? A fish? A boat/sub? Something else?

Now, I read on the SANS Internet Storm Center that apparently more cables to the Middle East have been cut. You can read the new article here. Now, I am suspicious. One cable? Ok. But the backup cables as well? I have to wonder. The post talks about backups going down. Sometimes our backup systems are rarely used until they get called into service. And that's not when you want to find out there's a problem with them.

As it is, I hope connectivity isn't down for a long time. I enjoy hearing from my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment